If you’re in need of a new driver, look no further than the Callaway Epic Flash driver.
Each year, the biggest names in golf unveil their new, latest and greatest equipment. Unfortunately, that doesn’t mean there is always a ton of change and added benefits for the everyday golfer. Wedges mostly stay the same, irons change a little bit more but most golfers are always looking to replace the driver.
Besides, who doesn’t want more distance off the tee?
A new driver can “change you” as a golfer (or so we all think). Everyone wants an extra 10, 15 or 20 yards overnight.
If you think it’s impossible, think again.
In the case of the Callaway Epic Flash driver, it’s more than possible. In fact, the new series from Callaway was awarded a 20 out of 20 stars in the 2019 Golf Digest Hot List.
Keep reading for my Callaway Epic Flash driver review to learn how Callaway broke the mold and created something special with its newest driver.
As I said, most years, drivers don’t change too much from the previous model. Sure, they look a little different, usually come with a new shaft but technology doesn’t change too dramatically.
Have you ever wondered what engineers are actually doing behind the scenes to test and develop new golf equipment? In this case, it’s different than anything I’ve ever heard about.
Callaway engineers use artificial intelligence (Yes, AI for a golf club) and machine learning to create a face that promotes faster ball seed than any other driver.
They spent roughly five million dollars creating a supercomputer to help design the face of the Flash driver series.
Here are some of the great benefits of the Callaway Epic Flash driver:
- Thanks to AI and machine learning the face is faster than any other drive on the market. This will almost instantly improve your ball speed and carry distance.
- Callaway Epic Flash drivers also offer “jailbreak technology” to help even more with ball speed. The jailbreak bars stiffen the crown of the club to promote even faster ball speed.
- If you want to have a driver help you fade, draw or hit it straight, the Callaway epic does just that. The sliding 16-gram weight gives all golfers the power to shape shots and help you eliminate the big misses off the tee.
While you can have all the best features, every golfer needs to love looking down at their weapon of choice. The Callaway Epic Flash series is very easy on the eyes and one of the cleanest designs in 2019.
It comes with a T2C Triaxial Carbon on the crown of the club. This makes it lighter which helps lower the CG of the club.
There are three standard shafts on the driver is the
- Project X HZRDUS: This is matching black, yellow, and green theme. It’s an awesome shaft that comes in 60 and 70G weights. This is the lowest launch and lowest spin stock shaft.
- Project X Even Flow Green: This shaft is the highest launch and highest spin so it’s great for amateurs who need help getting height on the ball.
- Mitsubishi Tensei IV Blue: This shaft is a mid-high launch and spin rate. This shaft is great for intermediate golfers as it has a good spin-height ratio.
All of the Callaway stock shafts come with the Golf Pride Align grip to help with your hand alignment. Unlike other drivers, both of the adjustable rings rotate so you can ensure the green line is always underneath your grip.
So what’s the difference?
The Epic Flash Subzero is more of a players club but still has a ton of forgiveness. The smaller head usually adds a few extra mphs for your club swing but the sweet spot is a bit smaller. If you’re struggling with launching the ball high and losing distance due to excess spin, this is a great choice.
As I mentioned, there are so many great choices in driver selections today. Here are some of the top competitors depending on your budget.
- Taylormade M5 Driver: The Taylormade M5 driver is designed to maximize ball speed and distance in their latest driver. It also has “Twistface” technology to correct off-center hits and reduce side spin for straighter shots. Personally, when I got fitted I didn’t get quite the distance of the Epic Flash or Epic Flash sub zero but it was a great club.
- Cobra F9 Driver: The Cobra F9 driver is the latest model from King Cobra that has become more popular thanks to Ricky Fowler. It has a CNC precision milled face to make it Cobra’s hottest driver face yet. It also adds “Dual Roll Technology” to add distance and minimize the effect of high and low misses on the clubface.
- Titleist TS2 or TS3 Driver: The other popular alternative to the Callaway Epic Flash is the Titleist T2 or TS3 driver. These two models are the newest model from Titleist and are classic as the 917 with even more technology to help you hit it straighter and further.
The only difference is that the Epic Flash Subzero model has a slightly smaller head. This makes the club less forgiving but also lets you have a bit more workability which is great for lower-handicap players.
There are three custom shaft options. Each of them are solid options but will have different results based on your own individual swing. Make sure to hit into a launch monitor or get custom fit to make sure you find the right shaft flex and weight for your game.
What’s included with the Callaway Epic Flash driver?
The driver comes with a matching green, white, and yellow head cover to protect your investment. It also comes with an adjustable tool and you can buy extra weights as well. The stock weight is a three-gram weight but you can purchase ones for up to 16 grams to lower your CG and customize your club.
Final Thoughts on Callaway Epic Flash Driver
If you want more ball speed and distance (because who doesn’t) the Callaway Epic Flash driver series is a great addition to your bag. Thanks to massive amounts of testing with their AI technology, Callaway has delivered something special here.
While the GBB, Rogue, and Callaway Epic were solid drivers, this one really breaks the mold. With so much technology in one club, it’s not hard to see why this driver received a 20/20 from Golf Digest and rave reviews all over the internet.
If you’re looking for insane distance and tons of forgiveness on your misses, click here to grab the new Callaway Epic Driver today!
Next up, let’s work on your irons. Check out our review of the new Apex 19 Irons.