If you want to play more consistent golf and shoot lower scores, you need to hone your putting. Especially from short range, where it matters most.
One of the best ways to become more confident on the dance floor is investing in an at home putting green. But they aren’t all created equal.
However, one product has become a hit with golfers worldwide and some big names believe in its effectiveness – the Perfect Practice Putting Mat.
The Perfect Putting Mat is trusted by some of the biggest names in the game, including Dustin Johnson and Sir Nick Faldo. The six-time major champion, Nick Faldo said this about the product, “If you want to make more putts, you have to practice more or you have to practice better. The Perfect Putting Mat helps you do both.”
Needless to say, if you get a ringing endorsement from one of the greatest names in golf, you can’t beat it. Keep reading to learn what makes this putting mat unlike most other indoor greens and see if it’s right for your game.
If you’ve visited the Left Rough before, you know we’re big fans of practice. Because this game requires precision from tee to green and the better you practice, the more success you will have.
But there is a ton of competition in the space of indoor putting greens. Some are glorified pieces of green carpet that do little to help your putting. While others are so large and hard to assemble, they’re not worth it for a lot of players.
The Perfect Practice Putting Mat is the perfect combination of simplicity and will help develop solid putting skills. As the company said on their website, “Most putting mats are terrible. They’re bumpy and wrinkly and ugly… nothing like putting on a real green. We thought we could do better, so we worked with tour players and top golf coaches to create a putting mat that rolls pure, looks great, and has features that will immediately lower your scores.”
I have to agree with them as so many putting mats are cheap and unrealistic to a real green. But this mat is different. So, what makes it such a great product to help your golf game?
Let’s get into the details…
I’ve seen this mat advertised all over the internet and I always think to myself, “This looks like a quality mat.” The turf, design, and ball return put it miles ahead of most competitors who don’t spend as much time on the details.
While looks are important, it’s not everything as you still need the mat to simulate a real putting green. The Perfect Practice mat does just that with its velvet like turf that will create a smooth, consistent roll of the ball.
According to the company the high-quality turf creates green speeds between 10-14. For context, the average golf course in the US is about a 10 (some more, some less), while PGA Tour events are between 12-14. Needless to say, putting on this mat will make you feel like you’re on the golf course.
Additionally, the mat comes with a rubber underside that keeps the mat in place, even if you use it on a hardwood floor. This will make sure it doesn’t move and gives you the best roll possible. Plus, since it’s sized perfectly, it’s good for right or left-handed players.
Becoming a great putter is all about seeing the line of the putt and getting the ball started on that line. So many golfers struggle to see the start line and thus don’t get the most out of their putting performance.
The Perfect Putting mat makes it easy to see the line with its built-in track lines. These lines make it easy to get the ball started on the correct line and improve your visualization for when you’re on the course. So many competitors skip these lines and it’s a huge disadvantage for the everyday golfer.
Unlike a lot of their competitors, the Perfect Practice Putting mat also has an automatic ball retrieval system. This is a magnetically connected roll-back track that returns your ball for more efficient practice. It rests on the side of the mat and looks better than other mats who also have a retrieval system.
Another aspect that separates this mat from the competition is that they offer three sizes available.
- Compact size – This model is eight feet long and ideal for smaller spaces. Or, if you want to put in your golf travel bag for upcoming trips. The biggest difference is that there is only one full size cup, not a smaller, secondary training cup.
- Standard size – The standard size is 9’6” and has both a normal-sized cup and a smaller, training cup. This is the most popular size and great for most spaces. Plus, it’s still easy to store if needed.
- Extra large – The final size is quite long for an indoor putting mat at 15’6”. This mat is the same as the standard size, just longer and great for large spaces.
They even have a “Barstool Edition” which changes the green velvet turf to match their blue/red design of Barstool Sports. This model makes for a great gift for any golf buddy or an awesome accessory for your man cave.
Additionally, if you don’t want an oak design, you can opt for acrylic as well. This design looks a bit more modern and sleek.
While the product is one of the highest quality and top-rated products in the space, assembly is always something to consider. For a lot of putting mats, you simply pull it out of the box and unroll it. Some need a few hours to flatten out while others are pretty much ready to go out of the box.
Luckily, the Perfect Practice Putting mat is easy to assemble despite its more complex design. Simply follow the three-step process so you can start rolling putts:
- Unroll your mat, massage it so it’s flat, and bend until it’s ready to go.
- Next, use an iron at a low heat level or a vacuum to eliminate remaining bumps.
- Finally, add in the putting track for ball return and start putting.
It’s that simple! What’s great about this putting mat is you can easily vacuum it (which is great if you have pets) and won’t damage it.
Plus, if you need to store it away for any reason, it’s easy to do. Once you get it out of storage, just follow the three steps again and you will be good to go.
Still not 100% convinced that this is the right training aid for your game? If not, check out the most asked questions and answers below to make your buying decision easy.
Once you follow the simple 3-steps, start rolling putts! It’s really simple to use, and the built-in site lines can help you start building confidence immediately in your putter.
The elevated cup (or cups, depending on the model you buy) are elevated for a few reasons. First, it makes it harder to hole the putts and thus, more engaging. This challenge should make it easier than ever when you’re on the golf course.
Additionally, the mat is elevated to enable the built-in retrieval system. This makes it more efficient to practice and get the most out of your time.
Once you receive your mat, pull it out of the box and lay it on a flat surface. Once it’s rested, bend and manipulate the mat so it’s as flat as possible.
Then, use an iron at low heat or a vacuum to get out any wrinkles or bends. Additionally, you can also put something heavy down on any trouble spots (like a large book or other heavy object).
The great thing about this mat is they have three sizes to choose from. The shortest mat is eight feet long while the longest is more than 15 feet. No matter how much space you have in your home or office, there is a size for your space.
The Perfect Practice Putting Mat is a great investment for your game. I’m confident that when you use it regularly, it can give you tons of confidence when you’re on the course.
To make it even more effective, pair it with these accessories to make it even better.
- Putting Tutor by Dave Pelz: This small device is one of the most effective tools to use consistently for putting. It makes it easy to get the start line of your putts dialed in so you have a higher chance of making the putt. You can use it on a real putting green or a putting mat like this one. Plus, there are beginners to advanced settings so it’s great for every type of golfer.
- Perfect Practice Putting Gates: To dial in your putting even more, buy these putting gates from the same company. This is great to use on your new mat or at the course. Paired with the training cup, a normal hole will feel like a bucket! We’ve got a full hands on review of the Perfect Practice Laser Putting Glasses here.
- Perfect Practice Putting Mirror: A great addition to your new putting mat is a mirror that you can putt from. This makes it easy to double-check your eye placement over the ball and ensure you’re not over it. Great putters have their eyes directly over the ball or slightly underneath, so this tool makes it easy to confirm your position.
If it works for two-time major champion Dustin Johnson and Sir Nick Faldo, this putting mat can help you too. This mat really delivers in terms of quality and will help you hone your technique inside 15 feet.
The biggest benefits of the Perfect Practice Putting mat include:
- Easy to store
- High-quality turf
- Easy setup process
- Three sizes to fit any space
- Beautiful design of turf and oak (or acrylic)
- Works well with other putting training aids
- Built-in sight lines for a more efficient practice session
Never forget, this is one of the most important parts of the game! If your putting is dialed in from short range, even a bad ball striking round can be saved.
But like all other training aids, it only works if you put in the work. When you get this product, make sure you add time in your calendar to use it regularly. Don’t let this amazing putting mat sit there without getting regular use.
Also, make sure to check out our best putting drills here to get the most out of your new golf gadget.