Did you know that your phone might be the secret weapon to shooting lower scores?
While golf and phones don’t always go together, there are more and more resources at the tips of your fingers. If you don’t use them, you are missing out big time.
Heck, even if you go to a PGA Tour event, they are basically glued to every fan’s hands, making sure they get a video of basically everything! No judgement either, I’ve been right there myself too.
But as a golfer, there are so many golf apps that can help your own game too. If you’re like most golfers, chances are you use your phone to record your swing occasionally and maybe dabble with a few apps.
When in reality, there are so many apps that can help all parts of your game. For example, some apps can help you hit bombs. Others can help your course management by avoiding trouble and hitting it closer.
Other apps can read greens better than a high price caddy could. And other apps can help you teach you to stay calm during pressure and play great golf even with nerves.
In this post, we’ll break down the best golf apps to help you shoot lower scores and have more fun playing golf.
Best Golf Apps
Let’s dive into the best apps to help golfers shoot better scores and get the most out of your game.
1. Golfshot App
First up on our list is the Golfshot app which is available on the App Store and Google Play. Their slogan says it all, “Everything you love about golf… Get powerful insights to improve your game with the best and most comprehensive golf app on the market.”
So what makes this app so awesome?
Check out all these free features:
- Daily golf news.
- 3D course flyover previews.
- Provides distance to the center of green.
- Analyzes your game by recording each shot and clubs used.
- Easy to keep score for your group (including Stableford events).
And other features too.
Golfshot App Pro (Paid Version)
While the free Golfshot app is great, the paid version is 10X better and worth every penny in my opinion. Not only do you get everything from the free app, but you also get:
- Club recommendations based on past shot performance.
- Dynamic 3D flyover preview like a digital yardage book.
- Zoom in on targets for even better course management.
- Real-time distances to targets and hazards at over 40,000 courses.
Here are some of the reasons to upgrade to the pro version:
- $20 off a GolfNow Hot Deal tee time. Plus, they offer special discounts only available to Golfshot users.
- $20 off your next purchase of $75 or more at Global Golf. This works great if you need new clubs, gloves, balls, and more.
- $25 off your first order and free shipping on 4 or more bottles of wine from Winc. If you love wine and golf, this is a huge perk.
- 10% off any PGA Junior Golf Camp. Golfshot is a partner of the PGA Junior Golf Camps, which provide high quality instruction to junior golfers. With over 75 locations across the United States, there is likely a location nearby.
- FREE 90-minute tune up at TOURAcademy locations. That’s right, 1.5 hours of free instruction to tune up your golf game!
And even more benefits… So how much does the Golfshot app cost?
Only $49 a year, this is stealing! From the extra benefits alone, this thing pretty much pays for itself.
2. V1 App
If you want an app that is meant to help you analyze and improve your game, you’ll love the V1 Sports App. The V1 golf app makes it easy to capture and review your swings with tons of helpful tools as if you were working with a PGA Tour swing instructor.
In the past, you would have had to pay hundreds of dollars to work with a golf coach to get access to this type of software. But with V1, it’s free and they have a paid version with even more upgrades as well.
The V1 golf swing app is great because you can:
- Record videos in the app for analysis.
- Playback your golf swing in slow motion.
- Easily organize videos into separate tags and folders.
- Compare with a limited professional model swing library (and flip from right to left handed or vice versa).
- Send your swing videos to a V1 coach so you can get feedback anywhere. Plus, you can connect with new coaches as well.
And this is just the free version of the app. Besides the basic ads that are a little annoying, it’s a great free app. With in-app purchases, you get access to a ton more.
V1 Golf Plus (Paid App)
Similar to Golfshot, the paid app has even more features to make it an even better experience. On top of the free app features, you also get:
- No ads on the app.
- Import videos from camera roll.
- Share videos on social media and email.
- Easily compare two videos side by side in slow motion.
- Full HD model swing library app (more videos added monthly).
All this for only $6.99/month or $59.99 per year!
This app offers a free trial to experience their amazing features, but does not have a 100% free version. After the trial you can get started for $9.99 per month or 12 months for only $49.99.
Here’s why it’s worth it…
When it comes to shooting lower scores, one of the most important areas to focus on is the number of putts per round. It shouldn’t be a surprise that the best rounds you shoot usually coincide with the least amount of putts. But one part of putting that holds so many golfers back is the ability to read greens.
Luckily, there is an app for that with GolfLogix. They provide tons of information about the green including heat maps, ideal putting line, and more. Plus, they have:
- No ads on the platform.
- Ability to set the pin position on every green before or during the round.
- Approach view to determine how the ball will roll when it hits the green.
- Patented club tracking to track each golf shot and learn more about your game.
Plus, it’s available to download on the App Store and Google Play, making it a top pick for all golfers!
4. Imagine Golf (Best Golf Tips)
One of the biggest mistakes most golfers make is focusing on their swing to shoot lower scores. So many golfers are constantly tweaking it, buying new training aids, and getting endless lessons.
Yet, most golfers aren’t shooting lower scores for one main reason – their mental game!
While those methods can help, golf is more than just creating the perfect swing. Luckily, Imagine Golf is here to help and is a top app for the mental game of golf. This app has 400+ audio classes, drills, and stories from best-selling books to help you shoot lower scores.
In the app, they make it easy to think better so that you can play better. What’s great about this app is that it’s super convenient even if you only have a few minutes each day.
It’s 100% audio app, so you can listen to the bite-sized lessons wherever and whenever you want. Plus, each day they release a 3-minute audio lesson known as the “Daily Drive” to help improve your mental game.
The app will help you with:
- Improving self-talk.
- Creating a solid pre-shot routine.
- Understanding the power of breathing techniques.
- How to practice with purpose (even if you don’t have much time).
And a lot more. I’ve used this app since 2019 and think it’s made a huge impact on my mental game and attitude on the course.
5. Shot Tracer App (Best Shot Tracker App)
Maybe the most fun golf app to use is the Shot Tracer app. While it’s not a rangefinder or GPS app, it makes it easy to create custom videos and trace your shot like you’re a PGA Tour pro. This shot tracking app was voted “Best Golf App” by Golf Digest and is available on the App Store and Google Play.
It’s simple and easy to use so you can post cool videos of your swing on social media. Simply open the app, record or upload your swing, customize and save to your camera roll.
Here are some other features:
- Start to finish ball tracking.
- Enter scores into the digital scorecard.
- Add an animated name and scoreboard just like you’re on the PGA Tour.
- Add custom effects like a rocket launcher, impact smoke, alien invasion effects, and more.
Plus, no internet connection is required! They make it easy to create highlight videos on all your favorite golf courses.
While a lot of apps can help you improve your game and map the course, not enough can help you save money! As I’m sure you know, golf is not a cheap sport by any means, so whenever you can save on golf balls, tee times, or clubs, take advantage of it.
The GolfNow app will help you book tee times at more than 9,000 courses worldwide. But the best is their “Hot Deals” section to help you find awesome deals near you. Plus, you can save your favorite courses, earn rewards toward future rounds, and book 24/7.
This is my favorite golf booking tool that makes it easy to get a tee time fast!
7. USGA Official Rules of Golf App
Bet you didn’t know that the United States Golf Association had an app, did you? While it doesn’t give you access to golf instructors or act as a golf rangefinder, it can help you with any rule questions. Plus, it is available on the App Store or Google Play, so no golfer is left out!
The app also helps with:
- Easy to navigate.
- Every rule in the book with fast answers.
- Rules, videos, quizzes, topic overviews, and more.
- Powerful search tool to find anything you need instantly.
8. FunGolf App
The FunGolf GPS app is a GPS app used by over one million golfers worldwide and has tons of awesome features.
A cool feature is that it allows you to measure your drive. All you need to do is hit record before any shot and before hitting the next one. Plus, it has awesome stat tracking and measure a ton about your golf swing, including:
- Fairways hit
- Average score
- Greens in regulation
- Short game accuracy
- Distances of holed putts
Another perk is that it’s compatible with the Apple Watch. On the watch it displays a map of the green, distances to the center of the green (plus front & back), hazards, and more. Not to mention, it makes it easy to keep score for yourself and works up to four players. Unfortunately though, it’s currently only available on the App Store for iOS users.
The mScorecard app is the best golf scorecard but also has a premium stat tracking function and a GPS app. If you don’t have a solid GPS rangefinder, this can replace it as it has over 44,000 courses available.
Like other apps, there is a free and premium membership to choose from. Some helpful features include:
- Past round history & stats.
- Bird’s eye satellite image view of the hole.
- Wager and play multiple sided games with playing partners.
- Easy to score for your entire group using landscape view on your phone
- Distances to the center of the green, bunkers, hazards, and other obstacles.
Plus, unlike most apps, it works with up to five players (assuming your course allows fivesomes).
10. 18 Birdies
What makes this app so unique is that it’s a little of everything. Here are some of the basic features:
- Digital caddy: This app calculates everything from wind speed to elevation, temperature, and more. This will help take the guesswork out of which club to hit and provide optimal club recommendations, just like a caddy would.
- AI coach: Yes, this smart coach training system will analyze your swing in minutes and get instant feedback (whether you have a club or not). Then, it will provide swing drills and a plan to improve your swing.
While some of the premium features include:
- Tee shot planner: Find out which side of the fairway is the best play based on stats from similar handicap players who have used the app.
- Pro-tips: Get instant golf tips based on lies, conditions, and more.
- Strokes gained scoring: Get Tour-level stats that show you where to improve and what to focus on to lower your handicap.
Runner Up Golf Apps
- Golf Live 24 – This app provides real-time, live scoring for local events, results, and scorecards. Only on Android devices at this time, does not work with Apple Watch.
- Hole 19 (Free Golf GPS App) – This is another free golf app that provides GPS distances to help track all your shots and play better. It’s also available for the Apple Watch too.
- Blast Golf Swing Analyzer – Blast Golf 4.10 is a unique golf app that provides instant feedback for every type of shot – from tee to green. This even includes a short game and bunker mode too. All you do is attach the sensor to any club in the bag and swing as normal.
- Golf Coach – One of the most popular digital trends is online coaching, which is great for both golfers and coaches. This golf app makes it easy to communicate with your coach even if they are half way around the world. You can send videos and they can provide video lessons all through the app. Plus, you can create a plan with your coach, get feedback, and more.
Bonus: Unconventional Golf Apps
While I love and recommend all of the best golf apps above, here are a few additional apps to try as well.
- Total Game App (Tour Tempo): This app focuses on one thing and one thing only – tempo. Arguably one of the most important parts of the game, this low-cost app will help you master tempo and has been used by over 100,000 players worldwide (including PGA Tour players). All you do is react to one of the three scientifically spaced musical notes to match the tempo. Plus, it works for both your long game and short game too as each has it’s own unique tempo.
- PrimeMind: This is not a golf app specifically, but can help your game tremendously. It’s an app that will help you train your brain to succeed and help unlock your true potential. This app does not provide golf tips but instead, helps you get relaxed, stay focused, and prime your mind. The free version is great, and the paid version has a few specific golf audio tracks as well!
- Headspace: Another great mental game app is Headspace which helps make meditation easy! The free app is great, or the paid app has even more in-depth tutorials. Learning how to meditate will help you stay calm and present during the round (even in the most competitive conditions).
FAQs about Golf Apps
Do you have more questions about the best golf apps for your game? If so, hopefully we’ll answer them in our frequently asked questions section below.
How can a golf GPS app help me?
By giving you more information about every hole on the course. A golf GPS (or GPS watch) is helpful for anyone, whether you have it on your phone or a handheld device.
By telling you more about distances to bunkers, hazards, doglegs, and more, you can choose the right club off the tee. Then, you can use it on your approach shot to find out different distances to the front, middle, and back of the green.
Plus, some golf GPS apps make it easy to keep score, track your round, and analyze your game. Think of it like a caddy in your pocket (without the steep cost)!
Are golf GPS apps accurate?
Yes, golf GPS apps are accurate and some of them are even free! Are they perfect? No, if you want the highest level of accuracy, opt for a rangefinder instead.
The only problem with rangefinders is that they don’t give you a hole overview. Instead, you have to target everything you want to measure.
Do I need WiFi to use a golf app?
It depends on the app that you choose to use. Some apps require Wi-Fi or you’ll drain your battery fast. While other apps you can download so they don’t drain your phone or take up too much of your data plan.
Is there a free golf GPS app for iPhone?
Yes, there are plenty of apps that are free to help you manage your game. With free apps, there are some downsides like limited features, smaller number of golf courses, and pesky advertising.
Some of the best ones include:
- The Grint
- 18 Birdies
Are there golf apps for the Apple Watch?
The invention of the smartphone has turned the world upside down since Steve Jobs unveiled the iPhone over a decade ago. That includes the golfing world – these amazing apps make it easier than ever to improve your golf game. For a few dollars, it could be the 15th club in your bag that you didn’t know you even needed.
Plus, these apps can help you:
- Calculate distances.
- Learn the rules of golf.
- Use a digital scorecard.
- Stay up to date with the latest golf news
- Access stat tracking to shoot lower scores.
- Play side games with your golfing buddies.
- Provide advanced course data which isn’t usually accessible.
The cool thing about these apps is that there is one for every part of your game! Certain apps can act like a personal caddy and help you navigate the golf course.
While other apps make it easy to record and analyze your swing to figure out how to get better. And finally, there are apps to help with your attitude, mental game, and more.
Whether you’re an avid golfer or a beginner, start taking advantage of these helpful apps to play better golf.